Tuesday, 5 October 2010

DIY: painted table cloth

This DIY did not turn out as well as I had hoped. But I publish it here anyway, maybe it can inspire someone to try and succeed better than I did. I actually got the idea from the ceramics-course I'm taking with some friends, where the teacher has made plates with prints made of old crochet- tablecloths. I always see a lot of them at second-hands stores and thought that there must be other uses for them. So I tried this:
Before: A couple of years ago I bought this tiny second-hand table and painted it black. Always with the intention of painting something on the tabletop.
Crochet tablecloth. Someone has spend time making this. I could have just kept it like this, but crocheted things makes very unstable groundwork for potted plants, cups of tea and so on. So I...
...added some white paint... 

...and just placed it on the tabletop.
Tada!
Well. There is a reason I'm not posting a close-up. It turned out OK - not a perfect crochet-pattern, but I had not hoped for that either. It sort of looks like there is a tablecloth on there, doesn't it?

3 comments:

  1. If I were you, I would coat that with a fresh coat of black and try again with a paper cut version of a doiley. It will be thinner and eaiser to get a nice transfer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A simple way to do this would be to spray paint the doily while on the table. It will leave the pattern behind once you pull it off

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Now, a couple of years after I did this, and as I have seen the paper doily + spray paint thing happening I really feel like re-doing this. But in a way I like the abstract messy look too... :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete