Monday, 18 February 2013

room with a view

We recently had contractors in our house to finally install the washing machine and dish-washer ( 9 months after we moved in ) in the kitchen so the whole room has been in a bit of a mess. Plus I've just started on the painting project I mentioned in the kitchen mood-post, so I still don't' feel ready to show the final result. I'd like to share one part of it though, that I'm really happy with!
We have one small and one large window in the kitchen, both facing a part of our tiny backyard and our neighbours parking space. As you understand looking out isn't the priority, plus I wanted to screen the window off a bit since people looking in can be an issue, but I didn't want to get rid off all of the daylight. I came up with a simple, practical and pretty solution (sorry for the bad quality photos):


The shelf is made by an oak plank that I bought at Clas Ohlson. I oiled it with the same oil that I've used for the counter-top (bought at IKEA). I then installed the shelf simply by screwing to white-painted wooden blocks to the window frame. The plank is just glued two the blocks.



Now I can easily add some greenery to the kitchen without using valuable counter-top space and still have a clear view of what's going on outside. The pots are from IKEA, Lagerhaus and one's from the thrift shop. The owl is also a from the thrift shop, but it used to be white.


1 comment:

  1. It looks great! Thanks so much for sharing! Love the result! hx

    ReplyDelete