Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Trying something new

When A and I go to the city center we walk past this workshop where people create various kinds of of, mostly with different print techniques. I must have mentioned sometime that I think it looks like fun and that I would like to try something like that because one of my Christmas gifts this year from A was a complete screen printing set. For beginners. This is one of the best gifts I've ever got - he just gave me a hobby! How cool is that!
A week ago I tried it for the fist time. The process is kind of slow, you have to create an original design to print, prepare the frame, let it dry, put the original on to the frame and expose it to UV-light, wash the frame, let it dry, find something to print on (I just printed on paper this first trial time) and then you can start with the actual paint. And then you have to clean everything. If you have a complex design with different colors you have to do it in steps, preparing and cleaning the frame in between each part of the pattern.

the frame and primer
original
original on primed frame
UV-lamp
gold paint on prepared frame
result + original


It is time-consuming and a bit tricky to get it right, but now that I've tried it once I know what to do and the next time I'm going to put some more effort in preparing a proper original. Now I just printed out a design on a OH-paper, and it turned out too faint and resulted in a very weak print (as you can see in the last picture - I used gold paint!).  I don't think it would be so hard to make a better one, so I have not lost hope in this really creative and fun hobby!



No comments:

Post a Comment