Thursday, 22 May 2014

#tbt: listening to music, then and now

I started listening to music for real when I was about thirteen. Obviously I listened to music before that, but this was when I started buying CD's myself and finding out what I really liked. What music you listened to was such a statement then. I had a bunch of friends who were so much more informed than me and they of course influenced me a lot. Among them British or Swedish indie-pop ruled back then, and punk-rock, surf-rock or Metallica when I hung out with my guy-friends. Listening to Spice Girls or Brittney Spears was a sin. The bands should write and perform all of their songs themselves, that was terribly important. I actually also sang in a band for a very short period - quite badly I guess - but that's a story for another day. Let's just say we only had one gig were we performed one song that my friend had written and one Oasis song. At home I had all the albums of my favorite band (Kent) and listened to them all the time and I dreamed about going to festivals.

I've never been to a festival. As I grew a bit older I also got a lot more comfortable. Too comfortale to go live in a tent at a festival, but also comfortable with my own taste. My strong opinions about music have weakened quite a bit and I have broadened my horizons. I now listen to French pop from the 60s, Johnny Cash, Lady Gaga, muisc to dance Lindy Hop to, Lana del Rey, Aviciii, Linnea Henriksson, Queen, Paloma Faith, Foo Fighters, Rammstein, Antony & the Johnsons, Daft Punk, Metallica and much more. But there's one think I still do, exactly like when I was 13 - if i find a new song I like - I'll put it on repeat for hours!


 Me at Slottskogsvallen in Gothenrig 2008, listening to my all time favorite band - Kent.




No comments:

Post a Comment