Tuesday, 14 October 2014

The Magpie, now on wheels

One of my new years resolutions this year was to try more new things. So far I have started doing yoga on a regular basis and I've become addicted to dancing Lindy Hop once a week. But this will also be the year when I tried another new thing, Roller Derby! Here's a link to a YouTube video if you don't know what that is... skip to 3 minutes in for info. Here's a short explanation I stoel from wikipedia;

"Roller derby is a Contact sport played by two teams of five Roller_skating in the same direction around a track. Game play consists of a series of short matchups ("jams") in which both teams designate a scoring player (the "jammer") who scores points by lapping members of the opposing team. The teams attempt to assist their own jammer while hindering the opposing jammer—in effect, playing both offense and defense simultaneously"

Anyway, before this weekend I had only watched one training session on skates and joined in on three gym-sessions (that's what I do on Wednesdays) where we do group training with an awesome PT. This means I hadn't actually started skating yet before Saturday, since I only just got my gear (skates, a helmet, knee and elbow pads, mouth guard...) last week. I bought everything used, except the mouth guard, on finn.no, from a girl in Oslo, and luckily everything fit!


Then came this weekend and the "Fresh meat boot-camp". An opportunity for me and the other beginners to train on the basic skating skills and learn a bit about rules and technique. Me and the other beginners (who started in August) will not be a part of the actual team and allowed to take part in a game until we've managed the skills needed, but I'm pretty glad for that. Not only is this a contact sport, and all contacts sports are more dangerous if you play with people who don't know what they're doing, but there's also a lot of rules and if I started too soon I'd end up spending every game in the penalty box... or face down on the floor...


Anyway... the first time I put the skates on at home I felt like I was going to fall on my ass immediately. Fortunately, it felt a lot better on the actual camp, and I think I did pretty good - skate-wise considering it was the first time I tried. After 7 hours of training on Saturday (including some theory) and 5 hours on Sunday I'm still pretty bad at breaking (!) and completely clueless when it comes to blocking and jamming. But I didn't hurt myself, and I look forward to put the skates back on...

No comments:

Post a Comment