Tuesday, 15 March 2016

One of my favorite things to do

I spent last weekend in Oslo dancing. It was this year's Winter Jump, a Lindy hop workshop that takes place from Thursday to Sunday and that includes courses during the days and social dancing all nights long. This event last year was the first time I ever went on a dance workshop and I remember I was super nervous and mostly just hid in the restrooms during the social dance because I didn't want to dance with anyone I didn't know. This year I felt much more relaxed about going! I can't believe how dancing have become such a huge part of my life. This is of course largely thanks to the awesome friends I've made in this community, but also... I just love dancing! Weird.

And the there's the other aspect. The dressing up and pretending you're someone else for a while. The social dances at these events are often fabulous parties where people dress up in fancy vintage styles. I absolutely adore that part. 

So what do I mean when I say"social dancing"? Well, that's when you go to a place/club/venue and there's good music and you dance with random people. Pretty much exactly the same thing as when you go out normally to dance but you dance Lindy hop, balboa, blues, Charleston... So it's mostly in couples. And to music from the 20s, 30s, 40s. If it's a proper event quite often there's a live band. 

During the days these workshop usually consist of classes of different levels and what is called taster classes. I'm at a level "intermediate" Lindy dancer, and I've been dancing for two years now. The taster classes varies a lot and you can usually chose between several different topics. This weekend I took a taster class in musicality, taught by the members of the Jazz band Shirt tail stompers.







No comments:

Post a Comment