Friday, 26 August 2016

I've read: the magicians

By Lev Grossman.

It's been a while since I started on a new fantasy series not in audio-book format, but now I have. I've been curious about this series for a while, but only now gotten around to read it. It has been decsribed as "Harry Potter for grown ups". As I am a grown up (kind of) and liked Harry Potter when I read them this had me intrigued. And I guess it has quite a lot in common with the HP series, only superficially, I'd say. 

This is the story about 17 year old Quentin, that gets thrown into the hidden world of magic and magicians when he is taken to the school for the magically gifted: Brakebills. There he eventually makes friends, learns how to play a very complicated magical game, and study magic, obviously. Yep, definitely some parallels to HP going on here. But then there are many differences too. It is way darker, the story evolves much quicker without focusing on too much on cozy details of life in the school for example. In the first book you get to follow the main character through all of his years in school, and you don't like him all the time. Another difference is that it takes place in the US, not England, even though the American magicians seems to have a week spot for British style and culture...


There is something about this book that I don't all together like. But I'm not sure what it is, really. It might be that sometimes it becomes a bit too pessimistic, and maybe because the plot took a few too many turns. It might actually also be a completely conscious move by the author, to make the reader feel that there is something not completely right about the story. Hmmm. Anyway, I will definitely read the rest of the books in this series, with all of the plot twists and unexpected developments I'm absolutely curious to see what will happen next. 




No comments:

Post a Comment