Tuesday, 16 August 2016

i've read: slade house

By David Mitchell


I only had a few minutes in the book shop to find a new book after finishing The Night Circus, and the only thing I had decided I wanted was a novel with supernatural elements. The cover of Slade house caught my eye and the blurb seemed to hint in that direction so I went for it.

This story is told from five different perspective over 36 years and at first glance seem to be a quite classic ghost story. I revolves around an impossible house that you reach by entering a tiny iron door set in a brick wall in a narrow alley. The author has managed to tell a story where the five narrators voices are clearly distinct and even though some elements are repeated after a while it is still interesting and I found the book a real page turner. It's only 213 pages long, easy to finish in a day or two and still enjoy every minute of it.  


I would recommend this book to anyone who wants fast paced, slightly scary and well written story to read on a train or in a hammock this summer. 


I googled David Mitchell after I finished this story and found a book called the Bone Clocks that as far as I get is was written before the Slade House and has some connections to it, story wise. I also learnt that this approach of writing with several different narrators isn't new for him. I'm going to try and get a hold of Bone Clocks and see if it works equally good in that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment