Monday, 15 August 2016

Kuala Belait grows on me

Oh how tired I have been this weekend. It's been ridiculous. I have slept a lot, but still, my body has felt heavy and my mind slow. I did get a bit of a cough on Sunday but to be honest I think the fatigue has more to do with the fact I haven't really done anything for a long time. The weather was sunny and hot most of the weekend (surprise!) and more than once we hung out in the shade on our porch drinking ginger beer.


My tiredness aside we did actually do a few "new" things this weekend. It's not very easy to explore around here, partly because we don't have a car and partly because there isn't that much to see... But on Saturday we took the bus to Kuala Belait and walked around a bit. We actually ventured away from the (maximum 100 meters long) main street and explored some of the side streets, plus a small boardwalk along the river where we haven't been before. It doesn't sound like much, but this little trip opened up a few more opportunities and actually doubled the size of this town in my mind. Among other things we found a nice new cafe, a furniture shop with high end furniture and a pretty nice carpet shop, where we bought a new carpet for our dining area.


Well maintained but empty boardwalk along the Belait river. 


Andreas trying out some of the strange looking equipment at an outdoor gym we walked by.

Now, I know I sound a bit whiny in this post, but the truth is I'm feeling more and more comfortable and settled in here. And happy. I love the house and garden, the climate and even though I haven't found a social network here yet I feel confident I will. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment