Wednesday, 24 August 2016

tropical garden update: august

This might be a super boring post to read, but for me it's fun to have a record on how things are progressing in our garden, and since I'm the boss here, I'll post whatever I want. So. This weekend I worked quite a lot in the garden. And with quite a lot I mean as much as I could without dying from heat stroke. The first thing I did was to dig holes for and plant these three blooming "trees" that I don't know what kind they are. The were in pots before, but kept frying out and fall over, and as a result have lost many of their leaves. Hopefully they will recover now...



I also removed dead leaves from some of the palms, making them looking a little happier. It was really dry the whole of last week and I've been a bit lazy with the watering so some of the palms look a bit sad.


I while ago I planted three small eeeh palms/trees/plants next to the parking space under the house. I hope to make this into a nice and green little garden patch, with various exotic plants. I like green plants, and I especially think the leaves of this plant is really beautiful, but I also hope to find some flowering plants at some point. 




This weekend I focused  a lot on the grass and sowed the second round of grass seed in the spots where it's only dirt now, like in front of the parking space. As you can see there are a lot of brown patches all over the lawn, but especially under the trees were the ground often has been covered by dead leaves. There are already some tiny straws poking out from the last time I threw out seeds, a few weeks ago, but this time I hope I have covered more ground, literary speaking. It rained really hard just a day after this so I'm afraid some of the seeds got washed away.




On the same side as the new garden patch, but next to the storage room (see this post for more clarification on what the garden looks like) I'm planning to have a garden patch with edible stuff. I have to figure out how to keep monkeys away from whatever I grow here, but so far there's only a tiny chili-plant so there's no stress. 



On the opposite side of the house I dug a new garden patch two weeks ago. The ground is basically just sand here and I'm curious to see how these plants will survive. I've dedicated some space in the back of this patch - towards the house - for some taller plants, maybe bamboo, so that this eventually will be more of a privacy shield for the backside of the house. 


I also did some cleaning up of the hedge-project we have going on - this is the "before" photo. These little guys are only about 25 cm tall now, but I hope they will start growing for real soon. They are called Morning flower since their yellow blossoms only bloom early in the day and then closes. This hedge will probably never be very tall and as it grows along the little road where a lot of people walk to and from work I want to add some taller bushes as well for more privacy. 



OK, that's it for now! I'm sure you'll hold your breath for my next exciting garden post! 

1 comment:

  1. Vad kul att planters lire nytt! Hur varmt har ni det nu? Ska bli kul att följa och se resultatet!

    ReplyDelete