Friday, 2 September 2016

back to school, first week

Hey folks!

I've just finished my first week as a university student! Again. Thinking of it, I've been a student at four different universities before (Chalmers University of Technology, University of Gothenburg, Technische Universität Dresden and University of Stavanger) so I'm almost a pro at this... This semester I'm taking an introduction course in Graphic Design at Kristianstad University (HKR) and a course in Typography, design and graphic tools at Linneaus University (LNU) . Distance courses, that is. Obvs. I was a bit apprehensive about the distance course thing, never having done it before, but honestly, it's perfect... I mean, I guess actually meeting IRL is good too, but now I don't have to deal with the stress of interacting with new people and can just focus on studying. Wooah, that sounded bleak! But true.

I'm not sure how much the two courses will overlap, but I don't really mind. I was concidering taking only one of them but decided against it, I'm sure they will complement each other.

The  LNU course so far has focused on typography. I remember back during my first months at architects school in Gothenburg, we got all of this new input and I started wandering around town staring at buildings like I've never seen them before, trying to figure out when they were built  - and I felt like I suddenly knew so much! A whole new world had opened up (and then I realized how little I knew, but that's not relevant now). This week I've started reading up on different kinds of typography and the history behind them, and suddenly I can't read a text without trying to classify the font. I love this feeling! And the feeling that I'm doing this for me and me only, there are no clients to worry about, I can geek out as much as I want without costing anybody money.

I have already started on the first graphic design exercise for HKR, and I love it. As far as I understand this will be a course that focuses a lot on learning some of the Adobe design tools - Illustrator and Photoshop, both of which I've used before but I'm only self-taught so I think I will take huge steps forward here. I already feel a renewed excitement for all things design-related...

The only drawback right now is that I can feel my neck and shoulders tensing up again from long hours in front of the computer. I need to get into a nice routine where I alternate between computer work, studying in the reading chair and short breaks in order to keep away from back problems... But I keep returning to the computer because it's the illustration part I really enjoy.

Oh, and here's a sneak peek of what the office/studio looks like right now! I'm not finished yet, but I wanted to make this spot where I'm going to spend so much time the coming weeks a bit more style and personality. And humor.

without personality

personality added

Btw, are you - like me - one of those people who always have to check out how to actually spell that idiom  - sneak peek? Then I think you should have a look here...

1 comment:

  1. Låter spännande, saknar att plugga ibland, men nu är det något annat (Algot) som tar all plats. Allt har sin tid som man brukar säga.

    ReplyDelete