Sunday, 18 September 2016

I've read: Trigger Warning

By Neil Gaiman


As a fan of the supernatural, the scary and the fantastic I always keep an eye out for new books by Niel Gaiman. His Ocean at the end of the lane is a recent favorite, for example. I picked this anthology at an airport bookshop not long ago and have had a hard time putting it down once I started reading. I don't often read short stories (I prefer looong stories usually told over 10 volumes or so) but I liked this one. It is quite satisfying to get the solutions to a story just within a few pages. This book includes tales of varying length, but also a few poems, which I found refreshing. The themes are extremely varying, from horror to sci-fi, from ghost stories to new takes on old fairy tales. One of my favorites was Orange, a story told via only the answers to an investigators questions. You don't even get to know the questions! Another one was the Sleeper and the spindle, a new take on two classic fairy tales, that gives a more interesting and empowering side to what Disney made into kind of lame princesses. 





I recommend this if you need something that will entertain and scare you (a bit) and if you feel you won't be able to concentrate for very long. As with all Gaiman books, the stories are well written and filled with interesting twists and turns. I am impressed by the many styles and genres he masters.

No comments:

Post a Comment