Saturday, 21 January 2017

I have read: miss peregrines home for peculiar children

By Ransom Riggs


You might have seen that this book have recently become a movie? I actually finished reading it on the flight back home from Sweden a few weeks ago, and the second I closed the covers I started watching the film on the in-flight entertainment system! There were some pretty major character and plot deviations from the book, but I still enjoyed it. I really like Eva Green.

Anyway. This is the story about a boy and his enigmatic - and maybe crazy - grandfather. The boy, Jake, travels with his dad to an island in Wales (I think?) to try and solve a little bit of the mysteries that his grandfathers left behind, and there he meets miss Peregrine, the headmistress of a home for children, and the somewhat odd inhabitants of this home. It's a story about monsters, mysteries and time loops. It's a little bit confusing at times, but I like the concept. The story is obviously written with a bunch of old photos, showed in the book,  as inspiration. All these photos has something mystical or weird in them and they make an important part of the book. I can imagine the writer looking through these photos and trying to imagine the story behind them.


OK, so the main reason I bought this book way back when was that it's so pretty... The typography and design matches the black and white photos, and the time travel theme so well.


Finishing this book took me so. bloody. long!  Read this post and be chocked. By the fact that I started reading this book in 2013 (!!!) and that Hugo was so frickin cute.

I have no idea why I didn't just finish this book back when I started. Because I liked it, mostly! I like the idea of using old photographs as inspiration for content and characters, and the story was in many ways right up my alley. But I guess it might have been a combination of a few just a tiny bit slow passages and me just not being in the mood for reading. There is apparently one or maybe even two more books in this series but I'm not sure when, if ever, I'll read them. If I do I hope it wont take me 3 years to finish them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment