Sunday, 1 January 2017

resolutions



I rather like New Years resolutions. I think it's completely natural to want to get a fresh start after a few weeks of celebrations, festivities and time with family and friends. It's often during a holiday that I get the time to reflect on what I want my everyday life to be like. And after some time off it's obviously easier to feel energized to start something new. So don't be judgy now. 

After the awesome weirdness that was a large part of my 2016 I want some normality. Now it's time to figure out how what my new daily life will look like. So that's the major resolution for this year, coming up with - and stick to - routines that will make life in Brunei feel like a normal, satisfying and meaningful every day life.

OK. So that's all well and good. But how will I do that? I'm thinking something along these lines:

In 2017 I want to

... set and apply "working hours" for studies and projects during the weekdays

... establish a proper daily routine when it comes to food and physical activity

... make room for creativity, actually schedule time for it

... try to get better at networking IRL and try to find more people to hang out with, regularly

... frequently be in contact with friends and family back home

... by the end of the year, have set some goals for my professional future

All of these things are important and good. And quite tricky. They are also not super easy to just check off by the end of 2017. Did I make room for creativity? Did I schedule time for it? depends on what I think is sufficent time, I guess. So this year I also have a few very concrete things that I can qualify and say "yes" or "no" to. I like that. Plus, I love listing things.

10 specific things I want to do in 2017:

  • Paint my toenails often. Because looking down on brightly colored toes makes me happy.
  • Run 10K, once. Like without stopping for a rest
  • Take an online photo course and start to use my camera on "manual" setting
  • Bake my own bread, at least once
  • Find one really good friend in Brunei
  • Take 60 kg in bench press 
  • Make one new proper friend via Instagram or a blog
  • Start an online portfolio 
  • Grow my hair long and learn how to make a Dutch braid. 
  • Read 20 books, 5 of them non-fictional 

No comments:

Post a Comment