Thursday, 15 June 2017

I've read: Ariadnis

by Josh Martin


I bought this book in Singapore earlier this spring. It was a quite spontaneous purchase, I wanted something similar to what I usually prefer reading, i e, something in the category monsters, magic and mysteries. I liked the cover and the blurb seemed at least somewhat intriguing so here we are. I didn't have super high expectations, thinking this would be one of the regular YA novels.


And well, it sort of is. With a few fun quirks. The story is set in a time when the world has ended,  and two new - rivaling - communities has been established by the survivors. Two girls, Aula and Joomia, have been chosen by a prophesy to compete on their eighteenth birthday in a mystical trial to decided prevent a war between the two communities. Only one will survive. That's the plot. And then you'll get to know the two girls and how they struggle with this task and with the powers they have. Oh and one of them is a mute. 


I thought this book was totally OK. I read a lot of YA books and I usually don't mind reading about younger people, but sometimes I felt a bit too old for this book. And I was hoping for a bit more darkness and action in Hunger Games style, but even though it was exciting it wasn't perfect. I liked how Martin writes, I liked the illustrations of the complex new world and I like how he introduced gay and bi characters without making a big deal out of it, just completely natural. But there will be another book in this series and I'm not sure I will need to read it... We'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment